GABA is the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain, which means it plays a central role in balancing the excitability of neurons (1). Because of this reason, GABA is important for promoting sleep, calm, and managing stress (2-4). Stress is thought to alter GABA synthesis and activity by affecting the expression of GABA-synthesizing enzymes and receptors (5).
The effects of Kavinace Ultra PM have been studied in a randomized, placebo-controlled study.
One capsule of Kavinace Ultra PM taken at bedtime for 5 days significantly improved quality of sleep as measured by the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (6).* Participants taking Kavinace Ultra PM reported decreased time to fall asleep, increased duration of sleep, and decreased sleep disturbances (6).*
1. Gou Z, et al. Dongwuxue Yanjiu. 2012;33(E5-6):E75-81.
2. Mohler H. Neuropharmacology. 2012;62(1):42-53.
3. Saper C, et al. Nature. 2005;437(7063):1257-63.
4. Mody I and Maguire J. Front Cell Neurosci. 2012;6:4.
5. Maguire J. Front Cell Neurosci. 2014;8:157.
6. Data on file, 2011. NeuroScience, Inc., Osceola, WI 54020.