In honor of Valentine’s Day, we decided to discuss heart health and what you can do to improve it. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in the United States, so taking care of your heart should be a priority. It can be hard to know where to start, but making some diet and lifestyle changes can go a long way in reducing your risk of heart disease and heart attacks.
Heart health is a hot topic due to the increasing number of heart disease diagnoses. Heart disease refers to several conditions that are related to the heart including conditions that involve damaged or clogged arteries, a damaged or dysfunctional heart, and certain types of blood clots. Things like poor diet, lack of exercise, high blood pressure, inflammation, nutrient deficiencies, genetics, smoking cigarettes, and several other things can contribute to the development of heart disease, but many of these things can be controlled. Your heart is one of the most important organs and without it we couldn’t live, so make heart health a priority and consider making some changes.
You can greatly lower your risk of heart disease through better nutrition, exercise, quitting smoking, and taking certain supplements. Your diet should be focused on organic fruits and vegetables, good fats like olive oil and coconut oil, and grass-fed meats. Processed foods, trans fats and other bad fats like vegetable oil and margarine, processed meats like hot dogs, and high-sugar foods should be eliminated from your diet because these foods can increase inflammation in the arteries and throughout the body which can put extra strain on the heart and surrounding vessels. Drinking enough filtered water is also important because it may help decrease the risk of developing a blood clot.
We have several supplements that we recommend for those wanting to improve heart health, reduce cholesterol, and/or lower blood pressure. These include:
- Bergamot BPF – May help improve heart health by maintaining healthy LDL cholesterol levels and reducing inflammation, may also improve liver detoxification and decrease insulin resistance.
- CitraNOX – Designed to improve circulation throughout the body by promoting nitric oxide levels which can increase blood flow, lower blood pressure, and reduce arterial inflammation.
- Methyl CPG – Contains riboflavin, vitmain B6, folate, vitamin B12, and betaine and is designed to help lower homocysteine levels which may decrease cardiovascular inflammation.
- Nattokinase – Designed to help break down fibrinogen and help prevent blood clots from forming. Inflammation can cause elevated fibrinogen levels leading to an increased risk of blood clots.
- COQ10 – May help provide energy to cells and increase levels of coenzyme Q10 which is often low in individuals with heart failure and other conditions.
- Reacted Magnesium – Magnesium may help relax the heart and other muscles, and is necessary for good cardiovascular health.
- OrthoMega 820 – Fish oil may help lower triglycerides, increase HDL (good) cholesterol, and reduce inflammation which can lead to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol. Good fats like fish oil may also improve brain function and memory.
Heart health should not be taken lightly. There are many changes you can make that can greatly reduce your risk of heart disease like switching to a whole food diet, engaging in light exercise, quitting smoking, taking certain supplements, and reducing stress. However, if you are having any major heart issues you should see your doctor right away, or if you are having symptoms of a heart attack you should seek emergency medical attention. Signs of a heart attack can include pain in the jaw, neck, or left arm, dizziness, sudden fatigue, chest pain, cold sweats, heartburn, and nausea. Take care of your heart, it keeps you alive!